Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Best Banana Bread

One day a couple years ago I wanted banana bread. One problem... I had never made it! I don't think I even owned a bread pan! I had lived on my own for 3 years and never made banana bread. So I googled recipes, picked a random one (who knew there were so many different kinds?!) and tried it.

Not to toot my own horn but, It. Was. Amazing! I was so proud of myself! Later that year I made some and took a loaf up to Bear Lake for a family reunion. I had my family try it and my mom said it was better than when she makes it! WHAT!? I made something better than my mom?! Shut the front door! 

A few months later, I made some the day my Mom, Aunt Tricie and Grandma came to help me with wedding prep. My aunt and grandma also loved it and wanted the recipe! (Toot toot!)

So I yesterday I made some for the first time in a while and decided to add something extra. BROWN SUGAR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING! Uh.. YUM!

Now, I'm no baking expert but here's the recipe if you want to try some for yourself :)

Banana Bread
Ingredients

-3/4 cup of butter, softened
-8 oz of cream cheese, softened
-2 cups of sugar
-2 large eggs
-3 cups of flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt 
-1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas (about 4 bananas) 
-1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract  

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, mix until light & fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating one egg before adding the other. 

In a separate bowl, mix flour and next 3 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture. Add mashed bananas & vanilla. 

*I use a 9 in x 5 in bread pan and usually have a little extra batter, with that I made little banana muffins, which makes about 5 cute little muffins.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until toothpick comes out clean. Shield with foil the last 15 mins to prevent browning. (Mine are usually in the oven for about and hour and 10-15 mins.) Let the loaf sit in pan for about 10 mins then cool on a wire rack for another 10. 

*for the cute little muffins I baked at 350 for about 15-20 mins. (Keep an eye on those because I didn't set a timer, I just checked every 5 mins or so and took then out when the tops were golden brown.)



Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
ingredients

-3/4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
-8 oz cream cheese, softened
-1 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
-1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
-1 tablespoon vanilla extract 

*I halved this recipe because I didn't want frosting on every bite of bread, but it still made more than enough frosting.

Beat butter and cream cheese until completely combined and creamy, scraping the sides a few times. Add brown sugar & powdered sugar, beat on low speed then gradually increasing to medium speed. Add in vanilla and mix on high for 4-5 mins. Let frosting chill in fridge for 15-20 mins before serving.



The frosting tastes so good spread on a warm slice of bread. Also good on the little muffins!


Enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment